Spello Umbria, the city of flowers – The city of Spello is a municipality that occupies the south-eastern sector of the province of Perugia, in the Umbra Valley. The capital is located at an altitude of 280 m a.s.l. The surface of the municipality extends into the mountains, hills and plains. The municipality rises, together with nearby Assisi, on the western slopes of the Monte Subasio chain.
Visiting Spello means taking a trip back in time, to discover a lost time and an ancient past that has its roots in the Roman and Lombard eras. But what is there to see? Here is a list of things not to be missed.
The doors of Spello
Then there is the Porta Venere with the Propezius Towers. Porta Venere was the main entrance to Spello: it takes its name from the discovery of a bust of Venus in the nearby temple of Fidelia. The gate has three arches with two recently restored towers on the sides that can be visited. On the other hand, some legends are linked to the Porta Urbica. The most famous is, perhaps, the one linked to the paladin Orlando (held prisoner in a large room adjacent to Porta Venere) and to the “singular” symbols present on the right wall of the Porta Urbica from which elements attributable to his prowess would be obtained. However, the interpretations of those signs are conflicting: for some, the hollow in the wall would have been produced by the vehement knight in the act of peeing, for others it would indicate the height of his knee.
There are many things to see in Spello but one of the most interesting things is the Porta Venere with the Towers of Propezio. Porta Venere was the main entrance to Spello: it takes its name from the discovery of a bust of Venus in the nearby temple of Fidelia. The gate has three arches with two recently restored towers on the sides that can be visited.
Among the religious buildings is the church of Santa Maria Maggiore (XII-XIII century), with great art treasures inside: on the left side of the nave the splendid Baglioni chapel decorated with frescoes by Pinturicchio and embellished with a majolica floor of Deruta (1566) as well as paintings by Perugino. Del Pinturicchio (with the extensive help of Eusebio da San Giorgio) is also the large panel Madonna and Saints (1508) kept in the thirteenth-century church of Sant’Andrea.